Friday, July 13, 2007

Chapter 5: Privacy

In chapter 5, I particularly found the section about public information interesting. I do not like the fact that sometimes personal information can become public information, but after reading this section, I understand why it would be beneficial.

I have heard about the implanted chip, but never thought of the possibility of having parents implant chips in their children. Children could be easily found if lost or abducted. I agree that a child's life is more important than privacy.

I've also hear of the radio frequency identification (RFIDs), but now have a better understanding of what they are. I can see in the near future all bar codes being replaced by RFIDs. The idea of me being monitored because of the RFIDs in my clothing is a little scary. There would definitely be a loss of privacy.

I do like the idea the stores in the United Kingdom have- body scanners. How nice it would be to have my body scanned and the computer tell me what clothes would fit me the best. Also being able to view what the clothes on you would look like would be great. This would save so much time, but I can't imagine how much it would cost me.

There were other topics in this chapter that interested me, but public information interested me the most. It will be exciting to see how the implanted chip will be used and how soon the RFIDs will be in every store.

No comments: